Rascal rears rears on front

Post your questions about your suspension and steering problems here!
felstmiester
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Rascal rears rears on front

Post by felstmiester » Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:19 pm

Hi all

I picked up an old rascal van the other night and have got the leafs off it already. I plan to do as title says, rascals on rear and my rears up front.

I have searched and not found much in the way of doing this and i have looked in the diy section at the rascal spring lift but still not 100%. Obviously the rascal spring are longer so from what i understand is some new mounts have to be made up?? Surly if you making new mounts up these could be made slightly lower than standard to give a bit more hight??

Also what do i need to do to mount my rears up front?? And then obviously ive then got to somehow lengthen the dampers. Is it ok to use say 2" box section to make up some new mounts to save buyin extended dampers?? Money's tight lol.

Oh At the moment i'm running 75 profiles with standard springs and a 2" body lift, my front springs are starting to bend the wrong way and the tyres rub very slightly when on full lock only when turning left lol.

Any pointers will be much appreciated. Pics tell a thousand words.

Cheers
Dave.
1.5 ISUZU TD ENGINE. EXTERNAL ROLL CAGE. CUSTOM MADE FRONT & REAR BUMPERS. SAMMY AXLES. RASCAL REARS. RUF. WRX SEATS. FRONT & REAR WINCHES. SNORKEL. FRONT SPOTS & REAR FLOODS. TWIN BATTERIES. FULL WADING KIT. 8.5" WHEELS WITH GRIZZLY CLAWS. OH!!!! AND THE WIFE'S ROASTING TIN!!

felstmiester
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Re: Rascal rears rears on front

Post by felstmiester » Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:42 pm

Right I've searched around and this is what I've found out.

Rascal springs fit straight on the rear.
Use the top leaf from front and add leafs from old rears to make some better fronts and by using top front leafs the spring length is the same.

A pair of nova rear shocks for front and a pair of landy series 3 shocks for the rear.
1.5 ISUZU TD ENGINE. EXTERNAL ROLL CAGE. CUSTOM MADE FRONT & REAR BUMPERS. SAMMY AXLES. RASCAL REARS. RUF. WRX SEATS. FRONT & REAR WINCHES. SNORKEL. FRONT SPOTS & REAR FLOODS. TWIN BATTERIES. FULL WADING KIT. 8.5" WHEELS WITH GRIZZLY CLAWS. OH!!!! AND THE WIFE'S ROASTING TIN!!

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:48 pm

The thing about swapping the top leaf on the fronts is that it kindve defies the point of going RUF. With the longer top spring you will get a slightly softer ride and a bit more flex. Yes you might need to make a relocation bracket for the spring hangers but that isn't very hard to do. Gimme a day or 2 and ill do some measuring on my mates Sammy and see what I can come up with for you.

What size tyres do you want to run? Would you want thus front axle in the stock position or 1" forward for some more bulkhead clearance with the tyres?
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

felstmiester
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by felstmiester » Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:19 pm

Thanks Scottie, I knew you would be along to give me the low down. I could do with bit more bulkhead clearance and don't mind welding some plates on and fabricating. If you could have a messier up mate and let me know.

It would also be nice to have a softer ride.

felstmiester
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by felstmiester » Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:31 pm

Judging on some of the feedback I've read concerning RUF I'm not sure weather to go that route. I've read a few posts saying RUF makes the front end way to bouncy. Think I may put rascal rears on then add top front leaf to rears??? But what the f***k do I know lol.