spoa

Post your questions about your suspension and steering problems here!
Slinkyjim
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Re: spoa

Post by Slinkyjim » Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:18 pm

yeah thats very similar to mine got it off a zook from a breakers yard near me for £35 lol just need some shockers but not sure which to go for as there is quite a few, i was thinking about some procomp es 3000 any ideas
IF IN DOUBT GIMME A SHOUT

urbanzook
Winching along now
Winching along now

Post by urbanzook » Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:45 am

id have one for £35 2 if i found one.

i use astra bellmont shocks £6 each from any good auto part shop.
an just cut off the top cover an put a rubber top on to stop it filling with mud.
press out the stock rubber an use the sjs.
looks just like a pro comp moves the same just black. an a lot cheeper.
so i dont mind replaceing them.

sorry must add im also running 4"lift.
DONT FOLLOW ME YOU WONT MAKE IT !!!
SEE WOT I GET UP TO CLICK ME!!!!

dan_2k_uk
I spend far too much time on here
I spend far too much time on here

Post by dan_2k_uk » Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:36 am

i run es3000's and i think they are excellent. My mate uses the astra and transit shocks and to be honest they look like they could bend abit easy. The actual rod that moves in and out is really thin whereas the ones on the procomps is alot thicker.

I would go for the procomps. £35 a shock for life. If its broken you just send it back and as long as it dosent look like uve hit it with a hammer they send u a new one.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Janspeed manifold, LWB Vit vented discs and calipers

Build thread -- Build photos -- HLA-Artwork
Coming soon: YJs, Trussed axles, Full float rear.

urbanzook
Winching along now
Winching along now

Post by urbanzook » Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:31 am

i never new that. Is it a life time? May need to change them then. The only reson iv did not go for them is my mate has a set on his an he is all ways on about changeing them. There the same size as my bellmont shocks id even say the shaft is thicker. But you do pay for wot ya get. An if they fix them for free when the die it cant be bad. Where you getting them from?
DONT FOLLOW ME YOU WONT MAKE IT !!!
SEE WOT I GET UP TO CLICK ME!!!!

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:53 pm

directly from procomp matey!

http://www.explorerprocomp.co.uk
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

olly.halls
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by olly.halls » Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:02 pm

Not that its really a worry but it made mine a lot lot bouncier. Much better off road though deffinately worth the work!

CunnyFunt
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by CunnyFunt » Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:01 pm

Hey guys i bought my sj on saturday. it had already had a spring over axle converstion but had been dropped back down for some reason. i had to drive it 180miles back home once i bought it, and it drive fine with no hickups. Yesterday i converted back up. Gave it a road test and it felt hurrendous on the road! i would say dangarous. can i do any thing to stop the anus feeling like it is going to throw me off the road?
I aint happy unless its MUDDY!!

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:13 pm

Hi CF and welcome to the forum, firstly what steering bar are you running now that you have converted it back to SPOA? if it's the standard on or a z-bar then you prob will find that it won't handle very well you want a half or full hi seer conversio. Also does it look like the caster angle on the front axle has been altered with the SPOA compared to standard as that will also effect the handling, the caster angle should be the same as standard with SPOA and finally have you fitted extended shocks? with the extra lift standard ones will be opened up to there limit and won't last very long, this will also effect the handling!

Scottie J
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

CunnyFunt
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by CunnyFunt » Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:32 pm

Hi scottiej your right about the sterring link. The one supplied with the Sj to go on once i had coverted back to SPOA, is just a slightly lengthend straight bar! So once i put a z drag link on, the handling should improve and reduce the serring rebound/bounce.

The new problem i am now getting since i jacked it back up is trying to get the anus back in to 2WD!!! :x when it was lower and springs below axles, the 4WD was all good and going back in to 2WD with no probs at all.! Any ideas on this one fellas??

Cheers
I aint happy unless its MUDDY!!

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:09 pm

I wouldn't bother with a z link, bump steer will still be pretty bad with it! get a merc sterring arm (part no.s A116 332 16 20 & A116 332 17 20) http://www.zukikrawlers.com/showthread. ... t=mercedes have a look at this link for info.

As for it sticking coming out of 4wd and into 2wd, you will probably find that this is just transmission wind up! you get this on zuke because they don't have a centre diff! just reverse a little bit before you take it out of 4wd and it should make it easier! Also NEVER drive in 4wd on tarmac as this will wind up the transmission!
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!