H20a/H25a engine conversion

Engine not running right? see if we can help you!
Mextra
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

H20a/H25a engine conversion

Post by Mextra » Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:40 am

Good morning all.

I own a MY2000 MK1 Vitara. I am toying with the idea of upgrading the 1.6 engine to a H20a 2.0 V6. Trouble is finding a doner vehicle for the engine, loom and running gear is pretty hard. So I am now considering a H25a 2.5 V6 from an early Grand Vitara.

I would just like to know if anyone has experience of such a conversion and if it is possible and by possible I mean straight swap. I won't be doing the work myself because frankly I can't but I want the minimum amount of cutting, welding, fabrication and general fudgery as possible.

In your responses please imagine you're explaining this to an 8 year old...girl. As much as I love my old schools, I am not mechanically minded. Thank you for your time.

Anton
I spend far too much time on here
I spend far too much time on here

Re: H20a/H25a engine conversion

Post by Anton » Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:51 pm

:welcome2:

I don't know much about the V6's, other than they're quite heavy. Have you considered the J20 inline 4? All alloy, should be a similar weight to the G16 you're pulling out, and I believe has the same bolt pattern for gearbox. In theory you'd just have to bolt it in - maybe make new engine mounts (have no idea if the J20 and G16 have the same engine mount bolt pattern - ScottieJ might know).

The J20 would probably be the closest thing to a "straight swap" you're gonna find.
1985 SJ413VX (SJ50V) with SPOA, rear disc brakes, 31x10.5R15 Kaiman Malatesta tyres, an MOT and a lot left to do!

My: Build thread To-do list Pay and Play map

Mextra
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Re: H20a/H25a engine conversion

Post by Mextra » Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:24 am

Thanks for the advice. I will have a look at the J20 engine but I have to admit small capacity V6s have always held an allure for me. There is just something exotic about them. They appear in very few vehicles and definitely none in production (that I can think of) and the vehicles they were in were always quirky/cult classics. Maybe the fact that few manufacturers used them is a hint that I am ignoring 🤦‍♂️