Sustaining my Sammy.

Anything Suzuki related, but not technical, it goes here!
Jerry Atrick
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Sustaining my Sammy.

Post by Jerry Atrick » Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:39 am

My old thunder-box has just flown through its annual M.o.T. test EXCEPT for two serious 'advisories' regarding rust in important bits of the underside of the bodywork. The M.o.T. inspector has told me it won't pass next year. This has set me thinking about how to preserve the dear old thing because it has run beautifully for the last four years and reliably does quite long journeys fairly regularly.

So, (faint hope) does anyone know of anyone who might be able and willing to tackle what, perhaps, ought to be a body-off job and who has had previous experience of such a job or jobs? I intend to run the vehicle throughout the summer but would be happy to take it off the road for the work to be done from Sept/Oct onwards, and could deliver the vehicle to wherever the work could be done.

Alternatively, does anyone know of a kit-car firm that could supply a jeepy kit body for the Samurai chassis? I believe Jago is no longer trading and I'm not over-keen on the J.C. Midge Roadster because it only has two seats and no weather protection. All replies will be gratefully received.

SherwoodNash
Winching along now
Winching along now

Re: Sustaining my Sammy.

Post by SherwoodNash » Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:41 am

Kinda like my Lotto dream plan, buy a brand new Jimny :lol: whilst a good body shop do a full body off, resto!

Good luck!

twiss
SCUK Computer Wizard
SCUK Computer Wizard

Post by twiss » Sun Apr 17, 2016 5:58 pm

Get yourself a welder and weld it up :)
Twiss

'93 Suzuki Samurai Sport 1.6 16v SU. Virtual lift, spring under, 31s
'93 Maruti Gypsy MG410

"If brute force doesn't fix your problem, you aren't using enough of it."

Tramp
Suzuki, will you marry me?
Suzuki, will you marry me?

Post by Tramp » Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:59 pm

I don't know if the Scottie might want to take on some paid work? A while a go there was talk of opening up a garage?

twiss
SCUK Computer Wizard
SCUK Computer Wizard

Post by twiss » Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:59 pm

Tramp wrote:I don't know if the Scottie might want to take on some paid work? A while a go there was talk of opening up a garage?
Scottie will not get anything finished if he keeps on doing other peoples work :P
Twiss

'93 Suzuki Samurai Sport 1.6 16v SU. Virtual lift, spring under, 31s
'93 Maruti Gypsy MG410

"If brute force doesn't fix your problem, you aren't using enough of it."

dan_2k_uk
I spend far too much time on here
I spend far too much time on here

Post by dan_2k_uk » Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:46 am

What Twiss said. Grab a welder and get some practice in on some old scrap then have a look at a few builds on here to see how people have tackled various parts or upload photos of yours for advice.

There's plenty of rust repairs to look at in my build thread. I had barely even attempted bodywork when I started my build using an awful, unreliable, inconsistent, but free welder.

It's really not as hard as you might think once you get into it and a great new skill to learn while you're at it.
Janspeed manifold, LWB Vit vented discs and calipers

Build thread -- Build photos -- HLA-Artwork
Coming soon: YJs, Trussed axles, Full float rear.

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:56 am

As Twiss said...If i didn't have 3 of my own vehicles to get done I would take it on.

However if it's only 2 patches then it really isn't that bad and you have a good bodyshell so it really would not be worth swapping the body.

can you post some pics of the advisories?
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

Jerry Atrick
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by Jerry Atrick » Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:48 am

Thanks for all your replies. They've given me some encouragement. Having once removed the body from an old Citroen Ami Super, I might have a crack at doing the same to my Samurai myself, then getting the body back to nearer tip-top condition so that I'm not having to deal with something similar in a year or two's time.

(To ScottieJ) I'll take some photos of the affected parts and let you have them if the web-site allows me to. I often get "Too big" rejections from it. I think it might be possible if I use my wife's little Kodak rather than my all-singing-all-dancing Pentax.

Thanks again.

Rhinoman
Suzuki Guru
Suzuki Guru

Post by Rhinoman » Sun Apr 24, 2016 7:39 pm

Jerry Atrick wrote:J.C. Midge Roadster because it only has two seats and no weather protection. All replies will be gratefully received.
That's cool - I didn't know they had redesigned the Midge for a Zuk chassis. There was another kit car that was originally Mini based but I'm struggling to remember the name.

Edit: The Scamp - http://www.scampmotorcompany.co.uk/brochure.html
2006 Jimny JLX+ 1.3 VVT
2000 Vitara 4u2 - Calmini 3+3, 33" MTs, 5:83 R&Ps, winch bumper, remapped ECU.
1986 Suzuki SJ413K - G16 conversion
1984 Suzuki SJ410 - Blitz

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:31 pm

Jerry Atrick wrote:Thanks for all your replies. They've given me some encouragement. Having once removed the body from an old Citroen Ami Super, I might have a crack at doing the same to my Samurai myself, then getting the body back to nearer tip-top condition so that I'm not having to deal with something similar in a year or two's time.

(To ScottieJ) I'll take some photos of the affected parts and let you have them if the web-site allows me to. I often get "Too big" rejections from it. I think it might be possible if I use my wife's little Kodak rather than my all-singing-all-dancing Pentax.

Thanks again.
I use a photobucket account for all my pics, then just use the "img" code in the post :thumbup: best way to post pics on the forum.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!