'Detailed' info on Diesel Conversions for SJ

Engine not running right? see if we can help you!
stup86
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Re: 'Detailed' info on Diesel Conversions for SJ

Post by stup86 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:50 pm

Found a possible solution to my MPG concerns.

Found this: http://www.bigjimny.com/images/document ... ratios.pdf

It states that the Jimny transfer box ratio in HIGH from 2005+ is 1:1 instead of 1.403:1 like on the SJ.

If this is correct then great, but can anyone confirm that the Jimny transfer box will bolt up to the SJ?

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:05 pm

If you can make an SJ tbox fit a jimny then you could make mounts to fit the jimny tbox to an SJ but they are weaker from what I've heard.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

Highlander
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow

Post by Highlander » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:24 pm

Yeah I think the Jimny box is chain driven and weaker, a lot of the Jimny guys fit SJ transfer boxes to off road Jimnys for that reason.

I'd be concerned running a torquey diesel through a Jimny transfer box running 33's though, especially offroad.

Your speedo will be fun to watch though :D

Edweird
Suzuki, will you marry me?
Suzuki, will you marry me?

Post by Edweird » Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:27 pm

Highlander wrote:Your speedo will be fun to watch though :D
Haha! Yeah, you'll be going so fast you reach zero again I bet.
There's three ways of doing things:

The right way,
The wrong way
And my way, which is like the wrong way but faster.

sam16v
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by sam16v » Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:52 pm

Ive looked in quite a bit of detail into diesel swaps into Sj's and have 2 projects on the go.( if i ever get around to finishing them). Basically there is quite a lot involved in any diesel swap. ANd no definative guide online.
Firstly you need to decide what you want from a diesel engine,
Older indirect injection diesel engines (peugeot-xud, Vw-AAZ etc), with mechanical pumps are much simpler to fit and require almost no wiring. They will run pretty much underwater. but tend to be nosier, less powerfull and not as economical as later engines.
The next generations of diesel engines (VW TDI) went on to use ECU's to control fueling, timing, and on turbo models boost pressure. These engines use direct injection, with higher injection pressures, and produce good power. The down side is that wiring is much more complicated, needing an ecu wiring up, various sensors mounting etc. and not as water friendly.
Also depends on how much experience you have doing engine conversions.

There are some good gearing calculators online. here is the one i use
http://www.lepayne.com/gears.html

Ive been doing some looking around and cant see why nobody uses the Vitara 2.0 HDi (2001-2004 ish Grand Vitara) gearbox on the back of the older XUD (Peugeot 306 TD) engine?
The advantage of this would be that your gearing would be higher for on road use as the vitara has a 1:1 ratio in high range. (coupled with 33's and samurai Diffs the gearing would be awesome for on road use?)
Im pretty sure the gearbox would bolt up to the engine? as the newer engines are also DW engines, you could use The grand vitara clutch, flywheel and release bearing?

felstmiester
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by felstmiester » Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:40 pm

I've just recently done a derv conversion on mine.
Isuzu 1.5 turbo mated to a Carlton gearbox. Engine stroke + gearbox ratios and being a 410 made it sooo low geared I barely got 60mph out of it flat out on the road. Brilliant for off road with loads of torque but unbearable on road so I swapped the 410 t box for a 413. Much much better.

Anyone who says this is an easy conversion, is a liar. It's a nightmare and unless you have acces to a good workshop with ramp and you can weld I would stay well clear lol.
1.5 ISUZU TD ENGINE. EXTERNAL ROLL CAGE. CUSTOM MADE FRONT & REAR BUMPERS. SAMMY AXLES. RASCAL REARS. RUF. WRX SEATS. FRONT & REAR WINCHES. SNORKEL. FRONT SPOTS & REAR FLOODS. TWIN BATTERIES. FULL WADING KIT. 8.5" WHEELS WITH GRIZZLY CLAWS. OH!!!! AND THE WIFE'S ROASTING TIN!!

Jed
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by Jed » Sat Oct 24, 2015 8:43 pm

Hi I'm looking for some info on a pug 1.5 conversion what it involves and some pics if you could help that would be great

Husky
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by Husky » Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:24 pm

Jed wrote:Hi I'm looking for some info on a pug 1.5 conversion what it involves and some pics if you could help that would be great
Have a read through this post, should answer most of your questions.

http://forum.difflock.com/viewtopic.php ... 2a95f9184e

Anton
I spend far too much time on here
I spend far too much time on here

Post by Anton » Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:47 am

I did consider a diesel conversion for a while, so I could cruise around Europe in the SJ whilst towing a superlight caravan I have. But looking into it, I was worried about the RPM's I'd be doing at motorway speeds - using the gear ratio calculator mentioned earlier, I worked out that a 1:1 high ratio would work well and put the gear ratios roughly in line with my Toyota Yaris diesel when on 3.7 diffs and 31" tyres (33's are better though, but I have 31's, not 33's).

The problem is, the Vitara and Jimny T-case is chain driven. They have the correct high ratio (1:1) and you can get 4:1ish low ratio gearsets for the Vit t-case, but the chain is weak.

So I thought about retrofitting a Hilux t-case in there, as they're 1:1 high too, and you can get 4:1ish low ratio kits for them.

The other thing that worried me was weight - diesels are HEAVY and many people who've fitted them have said the extra weight ruins an SJ.

So I looked at all alloy engines - mainly the 1.4 D4-D in my Yaris, or the 1.2 TDI 3cyl in the Polo Bluemotion/Skoda Greenline 2. Everything else (even the older 1.5 Toyota diesel people fit is actually cast iron with an alloy head, despite people saying it's all alloy) is cast iron and weighs too much, imo.

This would mean getting a diesel engine, the ECU, wiring loom, throttle position sensor, immobiliser, key, ignition barrel etc from a donor car and a Grand Vitara gearbox without t-case (as an SJ gearbox might handle the power, but the clutch wouldn't). Then getting a t-case from a Hilux.

Starting to sound like a BUTTLOAD of parts from 3 different vehicles? Starting to sound like a nightmare getting everything to work together harmoniously?

Yeah, I like the idea (the 1.2 TDI VW engine has been tuned to 120hp/200ft/lb with the addition of the 1.9's turbo and injectors with max torque at 2000rpm) but good god it's a lot of work.

I'm now thinking of just going with a bigger suzuki engine block, and then getting an LPG kit for fuel economy instead. Should actually cost less, drive as well if not better than a derv, and cost less to run.

Technically since LPG is just propane or butane, and you're allowed to make 5000 litres of your own fuel per year tax free (you just have to keep a log of what you've made/used), there should be some way to fuel that up for pennies per litre and drive to Scotland and back for a fiver.

Have you thought about fitting a G16 or a J20 instead of a derv?
1985 SJ413VX (SJ50V) with SPOA, rear disc brakes, 31x10.5R15 Kaiman Malatesta tyres, an MOT and a lot left to do!

My: Build thread To-do list Pay and Play map