RELIABILITY

Anything Suzuki related, but not technical, it goes here!
ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Re: RELIABILITY

Post by ScottieJ » Sun May 03, 2015 12:40 am

Mines always been a reliable little motor....it does get abused though, last engine died recently on around 120k I think but it had been thrashed to death, filled with water at least twice and generally abused off-roading so I can't really blame it :lol:

I've racked up around 30+k in it since owning it and it's been home on a recovery truck once after splitting a brakeline off-roading and loosing all my brakes.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

basil
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by basil » Sun May 03, 2015 8:23 am

Do not think i need to think think about a new engine for quite a while yet then

twiss
SCUK Computer Wizard
SCUK Computer Wizard

Post by twiss » Sun May 03, 2015 10:49 am

Mine is on 96,000 miles
However, the speedo has been broken for the last 5 years and since then it has been to Wiltshire a few times, Billing, Leicestershire, Amsterdam twice, Belgium a few times, and all the way across Europe down to Malta....
So I think it's probably up over 105k by now!
I am on my third engine though! But this one seems to be going well!
Twiss

'93 Suzuki Samurai Sport 1.6 16v SU. Virtual lift, spring under, 31s
'93 Maruti Gypsy MG410

"If brute force doesn't fix your problem, you aren't using enough of it."

Edweird
Suzuki, will you marry me?
Suzuki, will you marry me?

Post by Edweird » Sun May 03, 2015 11:35 pm

Mine's on 63k miles, of which I've done 37k myself in just over four years. So far nothing serious has gone wrong at all. Hoping to get the body rot sorted out this year amongst other things but in terms of running she's had an exhaust, a clutch and ONE fuse, along with the usual bits like filters, bulbs, points, plugs etc.

She's done long haul motorway trips, she's been off-road a few times, she's been driven in all weather: hot and cold, she's been a pizza delivery machine, she's been a recovery truck, a school bus, a tractor, a changing room, I've used her to herd sheep, transport 500 eggs, the list goes on and not once can I remember her letting me down.
There's three ways of doing things:

The right way,
The wrong way
And my way, which is like the wrong way but faster.

djc
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow

Post by djc » Mon May 04, 2015 5:50 am

Totally brilliant things - Suzuki engines really excellent, everything else tough and fairly easy to sort or swap. Parts availability very good backed by a network of recyclers (Andy, Mike and others here). Plenty of skill and experience here to help the novices get things fixed. Know where the rust is and stop it then fix it... and you've got a lifer. And as Ed says, remarkably versatile. I'll add shitloads of character in a very bland world, getting v rare on the roads so nice and different... on it all goes :D
Straight n shiny '85 410 soft top.

Douglas

donkeychomp
I spend far too much time on here
I spend far too much time on here

Post by donkeychomp » Mon May 04, 2015 8:43 pm

Only one bad point...and it seems to be on all SJ's and Vits. Whip off the rocker box and loctite the tappet screws...they always come loose. Apart from that they are fantastic engines.
If it ticks over...leave it

Rhinoman
Suzuki Guru
Suzuki Guru

Post by Rhinoman » Wed May 06, 2015 9:27 pm

donkeychomp wrote:Only one bad point...and it seems to be on all SJ's and Vits. Whip off the rocker box and loctite the tappet screws...they always come loose. Apart from that they are fantastic engines.
There was a TSB that said that they should be staked.
2006 Jimny JLX+ 1.3 VVT
2000 Vitara 4u2 - Calmini 3+3, 33" MTs, 5:83 R&Ps, winch bumper, remapped ECU.
1986 Suzuki SJ413K - G16 conversion
1984 Suzuki SJ410 - Blitz