vitara Portugal

New to SCUK.co.uk? say hello, give us an idea of who you are, and show us a pic of your pride and joy. were friendly and wont bite!
Diazzz
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Re: vitara Portugal

Post by Diazzz » Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:03 am

now it's like this
lot of work to do on it!!!
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Anton
I spend far too much time on here

Post by Anton » Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:05 am

I don't see the problem...

:hahaha:
1985 SJ413VX (SJ50V) with SPOA, rear disc brakes, 31x10.5R15 Kaiman Malatesta tyres, an MOT and a lot left to do!

My: Build thread To-do list Pay and Play map

Rabid Rhino
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by Rabid Rhino » Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:29 pm

Ola. Tudo bem ?

Its easy to bring the Vitara over because its such a nice car to drive or get it transported.
I use.... Transportes Beleza located in Lisbon. Speak to the owner Luis.
Less than 1,000 Euros from the Algarve to Kent. Just make sure he has ramps.

Registration. None of that silly having to drive the car out of the country evey 6 months like they used to do in Portugal.

Ze

Diazzz
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by Diazzz » Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:08 pm

Rabid Rhino wrote:Ola. Tudo bem ?

Its easy to bring the Vitara over because its such a nice car to drive or get it transported.
I use.... Transportes Beleza located in Lisbon. Speak to the owner Luis.
Less than 1,000 Euros from the Algarve to Kent. Just make sure he has ramps.

Registration. None of that silly having to drive the car out of the country evey 6 months like they used to do in Portugal.

Ze
Olá. Tudo bem

The registration it's easy to do? expensive?

Rabid Rhino
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by Rabid Rhino » Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:24 am

I have a 1992 LHD Vitara in Portugal that came from Spain. I bought it in England in about 1999. The previous owner registered it in the UK quite easily and cheaply.
It was a lot easier than when it went we took it to Portugal and had to register it there.
But we're all part of Europe now.

Try this link. It should tell you everything
https://www.gov.uk/importing-vehicles-i ... ed-vehicle

Diazzz
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by Diazzz » Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:10 pm

Hello guys it's been long time since last time I came to the forum. Now I have my life organized in UK is now time to start looking for my new project. I'm thinking in a v6 vitara and later on doing my own SAS in front axle. Does anybody know if after doing SAS is there any issue with Mot?

Anton

Post by Anton » Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:56 pm

The MOT tester isn't testing for road legal status, he's just testing for roadworthyness. He won't care if you've swapped in a solid axle.

What you might have trouble with is the man from the DVLA or from VOSA. If a modification bolts right up, it's legal. If you have to modify the chassis then it might not be. You're allowed to add crossmembers between chassis rails, you're allowed to box in 3 sided chassis rails, but other than that you're not allowed to modify the chasis except by bolting things to existing bolt holes. Any non-legal chassis modifications requires an IVA inspection.

Techically any other big modifications to a vehicle require a "radically altered vehicle report" and inspection by VOSA under the 8 point rules, but the reality is that what is and isn't "radically altered" is a matter of debate.

Swapping an axle, as long as you make it bolt-on, will pass the 8 point inspection. Probably.

You get 5 points for the chassis alone, 2 for axles (you'll lose those points) 2 for steering (you'll lose those), 2 for engine, 2 for transmission (you might lose those) 2 for suspension (you might lose those).

You might get one out of 2 points for axles, transmission, suspension etc. With engine and chassis standard, you only need 1 more point.

Most of us mod our cars and then just run them, because they're not "radically altered". It's up to you if you do that, or contact the DVLA for advice - but bear in mind that when I contacted them, they couldn't even find someone in the office who knew what the 8 point inspection was...
1985 SJ413VX (SJ50V) with SPOA, rear disc brakes, 31x10.5R15 Kaiman Malatesta tyres, an MOT and a lot left to do!

Diazzz
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by Diazzz » Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:38 pm

Anton wrote:The MOT tester isn't testing for road legal status, he's just testing for roadworthyness. He won't care if you've swapped in a solid axle.

What you might have trouble with is the man from the DVLA or from VOSA. If a modification bolts right up, it's legal. If you have to modify the chassis then it might not be. You're allowed to add crossmembers between chassis rails, you're allowed to box in 3 sided chassis rails, but other than that you're not allowed to modify the chasis except by bolting things to existing bolt holes. Any non-legal chassis modifications requires an IVA inspection.

Techically any other big modifications to a vehicle require a "radically altered vehicle report" and inspection by VOSA under the 8 point rules, but the reality is that what is and isn't "radically altered" is a matter of debate.

Swapping an axle, as long as you make it bolt-on, will pass the 8 point inspection. Probably.

You get 5 points for the chassis alone, 2 for axles (you'll lose those points) 2 for steering (you'll lose those), 2 for engine, 2 for transmission (you might lose those) 2 for suspension (you might lose those).

You might get one out of 2 points for axles, transmission, suspension etc. With engine and chassis standard, you only need 1 more point.

Most of us mod our cars and then just run them, because they're not "radically altered". It's up to you if you do that, or contact the DVLA for advice - but bear in mind that when I contacted them, they couldn't even find someone in the office who knew what the 8 point inspection was...

Thanks mate for your explanation!!!

But just let me know were I will need to see or talk with the man from DVLA or VOSA???

Anton

Post by Anton » Mon Jan 25, 2016 2:11 pm

You won't need to until you come into the UK.

I think in all honesty most people just drive their modded vehicles until VOSA stops them and queries the vehicle - not sure that's 100% legal, but that's what most people do. I was just telling you what the law says (as far as I can tell, it's damned complicated so I may have got something wrong!).

Really just call up VOSA before you come into the UK and ask for confirmation on what you should be doing.