Hello from Romania

New to SCUK.co.uk? say hello, give us an idea of who you are, and show us a pic of your pride and joy. were friendly and wont bite!
adib
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Re: Hello from Romania

Post by adib » Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:35 am

Thanks guys!

@Rick - I have the 1.6 16v. It's no match for the V6, but there are a lot of them here and parts are really cheap. Plus, I think I was lucky with a very good engine. It pulls really well in 1st and 2nd, compared to a friends identical Vit, and it burns a surprisingly low amount of fuel. The odometer is not working (and I won't repair it until it gets warmer outside), but the last time I calculated the mileage, using the full tank method, it burned 5,8Liters for ~85km. That's unbelievably low. It is also very competent off-road, I really use it hard and I managed to not break anything at the front until now :doublethumbs: I think it is even a bit more stable than the SWB, the downside is the turning centre in the woods or on narrow mountain roads, where I have to turn in 2-3 moves, were a SWB won't sweat.

@Anton - I am from Bucharest, in the south of the country.

Anton
I spend far too much time on here

Post by Anton » Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:41 pm

That's 41.4 mpg - you're right, that's *incredibly* low! Do you drive very very carefully? Lots of motorway miles?

I know the speed limits there are very low compared to here, so that probably helps keep fuel consumption down.

And Bucharest is a very charming little place! I'm not sure which I preferred, Brasov or Bucharest, but I've been a couple of times and those were my favourite parts of Romania, with Cluj being a close 3rd. I think that what you lot did with your busses in Bucharest is a really good idea. We should do that here!
1985 SJ413VX (SJ50V) with SPOA, rear disc brakes, 31x10.5R15 Kaiman Malatesta tyres, an MOT and a lot left to do!

My: Build thread To-do list Pay and Play map

adib
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by adib » Sun Mar 29, 2015 2:03 pm

We don't have a lot of highways and anyways I avoid them when with the Vit.. I cannot go more than 90km/h with the Vitara and end up holding up the lorries :hahaha:

The consumption above is done at about 70-80kmh, travelling to the mountains with the group. Topped up the tank just outside the city and topped up again before exiting the road. No highways, but pretty slow driving. I usually change gears at 3000rpm, so I wouldn't call that careful driving. Nobody in the group could believe how much fuel I used up. Me neither. Especially with all the kilos I have added + 31" tires, etc. But that's the math. Once I repair the odometer I will be able to do more testing.

There are a lot more cities to see, take Sibiu or Sighisoara for example. Bucharest doesn't even compare, in my opinion, with these cities. What have we done with the busses here? I have absolutely no idea :lol:

Anton

Post by Anton » Sun Mar 29, 2015 4:27 pm

The electric busses that run on grid power with overhead wiring instead of using batteries, I mean. Like trams.
1985 SJ413VX (SJ50V) with SPOA, rear disc brakes, 31x10.5R15 Kaiman Malatesta tyres, an MOT and a lot left to do!

adib
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by adib » Sun Mar 29, 2015 6:21 pm

Got it now. Those were introduced in the 50's, we are so used to them that they don't seem so special or worth mentioning :)

Ladaman
Suzuki Guru
Suzuki Guru

Post by Ladaman » Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:41 pm

:welcome: to :suzuki: Club Uk

Nice pics and video links.
YouTube
Ignis Sport 1.5 16V; Jimny gearbox, 410 transfer box; 5.125:1 Vitara diffs; rear Lockright, Rob Storr full float rear axle, rear discs, YJ springs, virtual lift, 31" Grizzly Claws, beadlock rims, +50mm LR arches, LED rear lights, LED roof spots, bucket seats, Luke harnesses, internal cage

1995 Zuk
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by 1995 Zuk » Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:55 pm

welcome great looking car, love the photos also.
2003 GV1600 sport
1995 Vitara SWB

dan_2k_uk

Post by dan_2k_uk » Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:37 pm

Welcome.

Shame more people don't modify LWB Vits. I think they look great.
Janspeed manifold, LWB Vit vented discs and calipers

Build thread -- Build photos -- HLA-Artwork
Coming soon: YJs, Trussed axles, Full float rear.

Anton

Post by Anton » Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:33 pm

I used to know a guy who ran 30's on a LWB vit, but he suffered from a complete inability to take his foot off the loud pedal and he munched through about 4 ali front diffs before he gave up and sold it.

Totally agree though Dan, they're a very good looking vehicle - although I recently saw a modded GV and realised I like those a lot more than I thought too!

adib
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by adib » Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:24 am

Thanks guys! I started modding the LWB as it is a bit more stable and comfortable + the interior space. In the winter we get a fair amount of snow and the roads are not cleared, so it's also used a bit on road.

This having IFS is a bit more fragile than a Samy or Jimny. But if you are a bit careful, I think it's not a huge problem. I am running 31", the original AL casing and planetary shafts ( I hope that's the correct english term) and haven't had any issues until now. It sees a good amount of abuse :) Of course, I am careful with the gas, especially where it is possible for the front to lift off the ground.