Heater upgrade

A place for all UK LJ owners to introduce themselves and for all LJ series tech and builds
Anton
I spend far too much time on here
I spend far too much time on here

Re: Heater upgrade

Post by Anton » Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:08 am

A heater core will not be as small as that, but because it uses waste heat from the coolant, it'll be vastly more efficient. Plus, to run a 1400w heater needs 117 amps at 12v (not including the power requirements of the inverter) so the alternator definitely won't be up to the task.
1985 SJ413VX (SJ50V) with SPOA, rear disc brakes, 31x10.5R15 Kaiman Malatesta tyres, an MOT and a lot left to do!

My: Build thread To-do list Pay and Play map

twiss
SCUK Computer Wizard
SCUK Computer Wizard

Post by twiss » Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:17 pm

Seems on ebay you can get 150-200w 12v heaters... they would use about 15a each... suppose you could get one for each side of the car and use them in conjunction with the regular heater

Molehill has fitted Jimny air-con to his samurai, I think he used a microswitch inside the heater control panel. When he puts the fan up to the top setting it also switches on the air-con system.
Maybe you could do something similar... (relay activated, otherwise you will fry all your wiring ;) )
Twiss

'93 Suzuki Samurai Sport 1.6 16v SU. Virtual lift, spring under, 31s
'93 Maruti Gypsy MG410

"If brute force doesn't fix your problem, you aren't using enough of it."

thomas.dahl
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by thomas.dahl » Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:04 pm

You are right! I missed that. Sorry.

The power needed to generate enough heat is simply way to much. Better to find a matrix solution using the engine's hot water.

Not sure what to suggest..