CV Boot - totally ripped :(

All tech relating to the Suzuki Vitara that won't relate to any other models, Front IFS etc.
dougie212
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

CV Boot - totally ripped :(

Post by dougie212 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 1:57 pm

Hello ..again :)

So after the drama of my brakes (sorted thanks to you guys) I've got a list of a few bits that I want/need doing.

One of which is the CV boots. Drivers side is completely split, passenger side is splitting ..

Having done the brakes, I've gained a load of confidence working on my Grand Vitara and so wanted to have a go at doing it myself. Has anyone done one before?

I'd say I'm reasonably mechanically minded, more lack confidence in things I've not done before so any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Dougie

courior
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow

Re: CV Boot - totally ripped :(

Post by courior » Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:00 am

On my old car i replaced the cv boots with split boots from ebay. u just put them over the drive shaft, glue em with the glue that comes in the box and then let it dry for half hour.. fill the boot with grease and jubilee clip it all on in place of the old one.. These lasted 3 years and still were in good nick when i sold the car (passed MOT in the UK no worries). U dont need to unscrew/bolt anything.
Maruti Gypsy MG410
Electric Fan upgrade
5 speed box
30" Insa Turbo Saharas
1.5" Shackle Lift
LWB Pickup Conversion
Lots of stickers and a Skull gearknob.
Daymaker led lights

1995 Zuk
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by 1995 Zuk » Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:47 pm

had mine done in a garage and it took them about 3 hrs,lucky had a rate for the job £100 cash including boots, and a car to use for the morning
they did both sides and both a pain to split one was worse than the other.
2003 GV1600 sport
1995 Vitara SWB

vitara_mad
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by vitara_mad » Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:52 pm

remove the shafts & get stretchy cv boots saves having to remove cv from the shaft

dougie212
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by dougie212 » Sun Mar 01, 2015 1:00 pm

Ive seen somewhere that it may be just as cost effective to look at getting a shaft from a scrap yard and replacing the whole thing.. seems a bit extreme though.

Taking the shaft off seems a bit daunting but i want to learn to do more than basic mechanic and really want to know my GV inside out so would like to do it myself. Stretchy cv boot sounds good as then i don't need to split it I understand.

Is there a how to or step by step or video around ?

Ladaman
Suzuki Guru
Suzuki Guru

Post by Ladaman » Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:05 pm

I just did a quick search on YouTube for Vitara CV boot and a few vids popped up.

I don't know if they are any good as I'm on PP wifi at the min.
YouTube
Ignis Sport 1.5 16V; Jimny gearbox, 410 transfer box; 5.125:1 Vitara diffs; rear Lockright, Rob Storr full float rear axle, rear discs, YJ springs, virtual lift, 31" Grizzly Claws, beadlock rims, +50mm LR arches, LED rear lights, LED roof spots, bucket seats, Luke harnesses, internal cage

dougie212
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by dougie212 » Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:01 pm

I shall have a look. I'd seen no vitara specific videos but will have a look now. I think it's just more daunting than anything I think but I suppose that's how I learn.

RickUK
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow
Location: Not sure me Tom Tom is bust,but it could be North of Watford Gap.Could be Bedfordshire though.

Post by RickUK » Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:58 pm

I went down the route of the split CV boots on my Volvo,yes it is in theory its cheaper but in the long run it was a bloody nightmare,ended up paying to have them fitted as i lost my 'rag' with it.

Next time a CV boot needs replacing on any motor they will be replaced with the proper things,must admit that job beat me,all that shitty grease around while you are trying to glue the 2 halves of the split boot together and as we are all aware grease or lubricants and glue dont mix,the area that needs to be glued has to be totally grease free,of course in theory that is but in reality grease got on the area to be glued.Hence this is the reason why i lost my 'rag' and i think i uttered a few choice words,so the wife informs me :hahaha: :hahaha:

The air was pretty Blue that day :lol:
Deceased.
SJ413 tinwormed to the great car grave yard in the sky.
Vitara LWB V6 engine deceased and also in the great grave yard in the sky.
www.hideones.info www.hideones.info
Current wheels.
BMW X5 Le Mans 3.0turbo diesel.
Looking for a newish Suzuki Jimny.

dougie212
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by dougie212 » Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:46 pm

Haha.. i must admit I'm quite looking forward to doing it if not apprehensive. I'd seen the split boots and did think they were a good idea, but my worre would be the glue inside the boot dripping through into the joint.... i would like to use a proper boot. There's a video I've seen, I think it's a Japanese video and they take the shaft out on a vitara, but it's super quick. Plus they seem to leave the shock and hub and disc all attached as one, undo the shaft nut, pull the hub out and turn it all to one side............. I'llhave to watch a few more times before I take it on i think. I quite like the idea of a stretchy boot, at least I can leave the shaft attached at gearbox end..