Santana Pickup Build

Got an vehicle build underway? post up pictures and tell us all how its going!

Builds threads only please.
rundo
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Re: Santana Pickup Build

Post by rundo » Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:21 pm

Yes,
it is slightly different, only Santana made these Defender style position and blinker lights. This is side view with wheels painted, caught by dark we were unable to finish spare wheel but I have another idea involving wheel covers mentioned before.

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:58 pm

:welcome: to :suzuki: club UK. looks like a really nice LWB. If you copy the image URL and use the "IMG" button while typing a reply the pics will come up bigger :thumbup:

I edited your previous posts for you :thumbup:
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

rundo
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by rundo » Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:51 pm

While painting wheel we fix radiator piece too, now the whole bay looks neat. It took me an hour to remove old chipping paint and corrosion. Steel is so eaten by rust that I will probably have to reproduce it at some point. For now this will work.

rundo
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by rundo » Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:17 pm

I bought used hilift/farm jack years ago and have it rebuilt and painted (even got sticker reproduced at print shop) but right now I found it quite useless being way too heavy and big.

Also cant find suitable hoist spot on Samurai so I can actualy use it for lifting. I was thinking to add hooks on tube bumper (when made) near center of chassis? Anybody have some kind of extension for hilift jack or chassis attachment for this so I can take a look at it? Seems like this guillotine is nothing but showoff :guns:

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:31 pm

I used to always carry a hi-lift. To be honest I just leave it in the workshop now as it rarely got used offroad and was just extra weight and something large to take up space.

You can get attachments for them to slot into round holes on bumpers and rocksliders etc, or books that work on the wheels. A lot of them are designed to be used with the genuine "hi-lift" brand jacks though
image.jpg
image.jpg (146.84 KiB) Viewed 8628 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (194.82 KiB) Viewed 8627 times
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

kiwizook
SCUK Addict
SCUK Addict

Post by kiwizook » Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:10 am

as for the aluminium hubs, strip them to bare ali, and use a good etch primer, and then paint over that, should be good as gold and never come off
It's not a question of how much you spend on your suzuki, but when your money will run out

rundo
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by rundo » Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:54 am

Either that or just polish, I was painting aluminum bike frame last year it was pain and primer was expensive (end up using aerosol even that was like 10 euro or so) but whatever I choose need to figure how to get it off first.

kiwizook
SCUK Addict
SCUK Addict

Post by kiwizook » Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:39 pm

you should be able to get it off with a wire brush on a drill or dremel. I just starting using por15 too, it's really expensive, but probably the greatest paint in existence! it'l do the job just fine on ali, without the need for primer or topcoat, and it's rock hard and chip free!
It's not a question of how much you spend on your suzuki, but when your money will run out

rundo
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by rundo » Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:18 am

LWB is quite spacy behind rear seats but no compartments whatsoever, so I needed a trunk for basic eqt, triangle, lamps, first aid and other handy stuff. I have plastic footlocker for that purpose but it was too big and looks too common so i used this alu box (used to haul equipment in it while Djing).

To prevent it from rolling used one existing hole in back to drive bolt and butterfly nut thru floor and box.

Last edited by rundo on Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

rundo
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by rundo » Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:22 am

I mentioned rubber before and while ago I got some rubber rings picked up just like that (I new I will need it one day) at flea market 10 pcs for euro. It is heavy duty ring with thick wall really handy for suspending or isolating.

I used these to suspend my DIY trunk, one to drive bolt thru it and three just to place box atop so it will not shake and make any noise. Box is watertight so I can keep it here even with hardtop off, bolt and lock will prevent it from stealing (it can be locked with regular padlock).

While doing this decided to move rear seats lower, right now position is too high because Vitara seats are too wide to fit between wheel buffers. I might stumble on Samurai seats maybe it is easiest option,will see...