taller tyres, diff clearance

Starts at the flywheel, ends at the hubs, any problems along them lines, ask your questions here.
Russ24
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow

taller tyres, diff clearance

Post by Russ24 » Thu May 13, 2010 9:28 pm

hey guys, me again with another dumbass question.

brake calipers. recomendations on GOOD ones, as i have two sets, each from an SJ and a santana.. both sets are manky and not as good as they were. recomendations please.

secondly...

with over under axle conversion thingies and 3" lift shackles... i still have a problem with the diff clearance... larger tyres??? if so, who what were n stuff.

i currently run 195 15 greenway atamac's... i think. (the diamond type tread)

taller tyres but not nessecerally wider...

thoughts and comments please :)

russ.

picture to give you an idea of what im currently running.
Attachments
Dscf7075 SMALL.jpg
Dscf7075 SMALL.jpg (220.42 KiB) Viewed 8192 times
:russ:

Henry
Suzuki Guru
Suzuki Guru

Re: taller tyres, diff clearance

Post by Henry » Thu May 13, 2010 10:13 pm

Firstly if it was me i would loose the lift shackles straight away. If you find that once you have lost them that you still require more lift, then i would look to increase the spings in the sping packs.

Your tires are very small for the amount of lift, and i guess that it might be quite un stable? And by the looks you are running standard width?

As a rule of thumb for every inch you go up... you should try to go out too.

I would say that 31's would look to small on there. I run 31s on mine and im only running a 3-4" lift, but the tires look right for the lift, and the width is a lot more than 3-4".

You should get 33" under there without major problems, maybe a bit of trimming for clearance, but nothing major.
However you then have the problem of gearing. You will need to dramaticly lower the gearing to get it to drive right, this can be done in a few ways, most common being the transfer box swap (i doubt 410 would make much difference) so a rocklobster would be ideal, or change the ring and pinions to vitara ones.

Henry

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Fri May 14, 2010 1:01 pm

yep as henry says

:mrgreen:
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

Russ24
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow

Post by Russ24 » Fri May 14, 2010 8:21 pm

henry-the-hoover wrote:Firstly if it was me i would loose the lift shackles straight away. If you find that once you have lost them that you still require more lift, then i would look to increase the spings in the sping packs.

Your tires are very small for the amount of lift, and i guess that it might be quite un stable? And by the looks you are running standard width?

I would say that 31's would look to small on there. I run 31s on mine and im only running a 3-4" lift, but the tires look right for the lift, and the width is a lot more than 3-4".

[img]http://i508.photobucket.com/albums/s327 ... 220461.jpg

You should get 33" under there without major problems, maybe a bit of trimming for clearance, but nothing major.
However you then have the problem of gearing. You will need to dramaticly lower the gearing to get it to drive right, this can be done in a few ways, most common being the transfer box swap (i doubt 410 would make much difference) so a rocklobster would be ideal, or change the ring and pinions to vitara ones.

Henry
ok. i was with you abit on that... not too good on the lingo see.

i was thinking about removing the shackles as they dug in abit last time i got dirty.

increase the springs in spring packs? i have two sets of leaves doubled up on from... im not sure what you mean.

yes it leans like a mother...... it has them modded steelrims but that it on width... so....wheel spacers????

33 sound nice but trimming isnt something im fond of... i am planning on removing the front bumper and the bits that it bolts too... so... 31's i think....

and lastly... yes the gearing is all wrong as it is.... so your saying theres an after marked trnasfer box avaiable? ring and pinions? like i said...i was with you up to 'simply' haha.

thanks Henry for repling so soon..

have you links tonessercery items likerocklobster and them lovely meaty 31's?

cheers
Russ

j and j
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by j and j » Sat May 15, 2010 4:58 pm

henry-the-hoover wrote:Firstly if it was me i would loose the lift shackles straight away. If you find that once you have lost them that you still require more lift, then i would look to increase the spings in the sping packs.

Henry
That looks like a sensible lift,and as you say the tyres look right.I'm probably being a bit dim but how have you acheived your lift as i want to put 31's on my 410 but keep it looking sensible.

Henry
Suzuki Guru
Suzuki Guru

Post by Henry » Sun May 16, 2010 6:21 pm

j and j wrote:

Henry
That looks like a sensible lift,and as you say the tyres look right.I'm probably being a bit dim but how have you acheived your lift as i want to put 31's on my 410 but keep it looking sensible.

Hi

It isnt actually that tall (im 6Ft 3")

Lift is

- 2" body lift
- Add a leafs front (2-3")
- Iron man springs rear (2-3")

Then the tires give an inch or so too.

Henry

Henry
Suzuki Guru
Suzuki Guru

Post by Henry » Sun May 16, 2010 6:37 pm

Russ24 wrote:

i was thinking about removing the shackles as they dug in abit last time i got dirty.

increase the springs in spring packs? i have two sets of leaves doubled up on from... im not sure what you mean.

yes it leans like a mother...... it has them modded steelrims but that it on width... so....wheel spacers????

33 sound nice but trimming isnt something im fond of... i am planning on removing the front bumper and the bits that it bolts too... so... 31's i think....

and lastly... yes the gearing is all wrong as it is.... so your saying theres an after marked trnasfer box avaiable? ring and pinions? like i said...i was with you up to 'simply' haha.

cheers
Russ
What i mean was slip more springs in the packs to get lift. And off course more on the side it leans to level it up.

Yes wheel spacers are good. you will be atleast 5-6" taller than standard, so 2.5-3" a side in width isnt that hard to achieve.
Loans of spacers about, from £50 an axle to £200+.

When i say trimming, i mean slight trimming to the foot well (there is a lip that can be bashef with BFH or trimmed with grinder, then you will need to take the front bumper mounts of and cut the pipes back. (it will become clear as you start doing it)
I would 31" would look to small, 33" would look :twisted:

And gearing. Rocklobsters are hard to come by and by no means cheap! I dont know of anyone who makes them now. I think Rhino ray (if you can get hold of him) or kap?

A guy on difflock called Nigel Head used to just make the gear sets like these but i think he has stopped doing them.

These might help

http://ironbark.bendigo.latrobe.edu.au/~jeff/xfer2.htm
http://www.mallo.nl/english/4.16.htm
http://www.geocities.com/Baja/Outback/3 ... bster.html
http://www.suzukiclubuk.com/rocklobster.html

you could go for a 410 box to drop the gearing a bit.

The vit ring and pinions..
http://forum.difflock.com/viewtopic.php ... ing+pinion

No idea on tires, i swapped them for a rocklobster.

Russ24
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow

Post by Russ24 » Mon May 17, 2010 6:49 pm

henry-the-hoover wrote:
Russ24 wrote:

cheers
Russ
What i mean was slip more springs in the packs to get lift. And off course more on the side it leans to level it up.

Yes wheel spacers are good. you will be atleast 5-6" taller than standard, so 2.5-3" a side in width isnt that hard to achieve.
Loans of spacers about, from £50 an axle to £200+.

When i say trimming, i mean slight trimming to the foot well (there is a lip that can be bashef with BFH or trimmed with grinder, then you will need to take the front bumper mounts of and cut the pipes back. (it will become clear as you start doing it)
I would 31" would look to small, 33" would look :twisted:

And gearing. Rocklobsters are hard to come by and by no means cheap! I dont know of anyone who makes them now. I think Rhino ray (if you can get hold of him) or kap?

A guy on difflock called Nigel Head used to just make the gear sets like these but i think he has stopped doing them.

These might help

http://ironbark.bendigo.latrobe.edu.au/~jeff/xfer2.htm
http://www.mallo.nl/english/4.16.htm
http://www.geocities.com/Baja/Outback/3 ... bster.html
http://www.suzukiclubuk.com/rocklobster.html

you could go for a 410 box to drop the gearing a bit.

The vit ring and pinions..
http://forum.difflock.com/viewtopic.php ... ing+pinion

No idea on tires, i swapped them for a rocklobster.
EXCELLENT, thank you henry.

will chat to RAY about said rocklobster as i know were his workshop is.. and i past it once a week.

the thread from diff lock is VERY informative but i think i will not be venturing that far in.... however a rear vit axle for the ltd slip diff is an idea.

3" wheel spacers... ok. do that this week.

finally i like the term BFH haha, yeah my old SJ have the bumper mounts cut off and cappedt' so i shall do the same... the rear there isnt alot to remove ather than the steel/rust bumper and corners.

so using the BFH idea or grinder.. im guessing its on bits like....the Front parts of the REAR wheel arches and the rear of the FRONT arches yes?

or do i need to remove the wheel arch covers and modify them exstensivily?

33" tyres it is... i will have to source them locally.

cheers again henry. VERY helpful of you!

Russ.