the no dosh LJ revamp

Got an vehicle build underway? post up pictures and tell us all how its going!

Builds threads only please.
Anton
I spend far too much time on here

Re: the no dosh LJ revamp

Post by Anton » Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:36 pm

Get your money back on the original prop!!! If they're an engineering company, then they need to do work to an acceptable standard. If you can't use it, then it's money back time.
1985 SJ413VX (SJ50V) with SPOA, rear disc brakes, 31x10.5R15 Kaiman Malatesta tyres, an MOT and a lot left to do!

My: Build thread To-do list Pay and Play map

Rabid Rhino
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by Rabid Rhino » Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:13 pm

Leigh who built your whole car & god knows how many others would have built you one for much less.

donkeychomp

Post by donkeychomp » Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:20 pm

I kinda doubt that. The standard of work on my car is far from brilliant. Been repairing his work ever since I bought it. However the new prop is on and the problem is the same. New polyurethane t box mounts have not done anything either. Summat is clonking against summat else. Scottie suggests removing the t box gaiter and look in there as I slowly drive. Good idea!
If it ticks over...leave it

donkeychomp

Post by donkeychomp » Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:48 pm

Hot and sweaty day. ALL props off, all perfect. Checked all wheels for wobblies. None. Suspension all bolted down basically everything is as it should be. Then got a neighbour to slowly inch the truck forward...yep, t box is making the noise under load. Why it has chosen to do this is a mystery. Took off the metal mount too just to make sure that's ok and it is. So I need a cradle then...

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:40 pm

I wouldn't say you need a cradle as chances are it won't solve the issue. There's probably something you just haven't found yet, can be hard to trace noises sometimes as they trasfer from one place to another.

deffo check engine mounts, might even be worth dropping the tbox oil out to make sure there's no signs of internal damage and check the rear axle fully, diff pinion for play, bearings etc.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

donkeychomp

Post by donkeychomp » Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:01 am

Will do skipper. Engine mounts being checked tomorrow. Hoping one or both are mullered as that would solve everything and quite cheaply!

Rabid Rhino
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by Rabid Rhino » Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:46 pm

I have noticed that you've had more that your fair share of problems with this car, which is a shame. It bugs me, so lord knows how you must feel. Hats off to you for your persistence.
Did you get it straight from him or from another owner ? Maybe poor maintenance by the last guy as I've had 4 cars he built (3 LJs & 1 Vitara) straight off him & they all performed great for years.

donkeychomp

Post by donkeychomp » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:42 pm

Got it from another bloke and yes he screwed it up big time. But this is general wear and tear. I'll fix her ok.

donkeychomp

Post by donkeychomp » Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:11 pm

Some cracking news. My truck is fixed! Turns out there are four bolts on one side of the transfer case but I couldn't see them as the chassis rail was hiding them. Dropped the tcase out and to my horror one bolt was missing, one was dangling there, one was sheared off and the last one was actually on. Got the sheared one off with heat, swearing and mole grips. Heaved the lot back into place and bolted everything down. Drives perfectly now!

Anton

Post by Anton » Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:48 pm

Excellent! Properly bolting things down/real maintenance for the win!!! Nice one, buddy.
1985 SJ413VX (SJ50V) with SPOA, rear disc brakes, 31x10.5R15 Kaiman Malatesta tyres, an MOT and a lot left to do!

My: Build thread To-do list Pay and Play map