SJ410 - turbo diesel conversion

Got an vehicle build underway? post up pictures and tell us all how its going!

Builds threads only please.
Husky
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

SJ410 - turbo diesel conversion

Post by Husky » Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:22 pm

Just thought i'd show my little 410 project, picked it up last month for £450 with 6 month mot and a little tax, have been using it as a daily run around. this is my first sj or 4x4 for that matter, saw it for sale on facebook and my brother coaxed me into buying it after having dozens of them in the past. im quite happy with it apart from a couple of niggles. The seats had been replaced with racing buckets, the transfer box has been "hard mounted", its slow as anything and worst of all the fuel consumption is about 10mpg.

Heres how i got it.

There was a set of 6x9's installed when i got it, they were just dangling above the seats on zip ties so pinched a couple of pallets and made 2 rear cards.

next was to get rid of them god awful seats, picked up a pair of nice comfy seats out of an alfa in the local scrappy for £30 there a damn close fit on the sj runners, one side bolts right up and the other has to be welded.

also found a set of free wheeling hubs in the shed of one of my brothers old sj's so slapped them on and picked up a set of fourtrak wheels and good 31" tyres.

This is how it looks at the moment.

Ive just picked up a pug 106 1.5 derv for little or nothing with a good engine and have been doing a bit of digging, seems a lot of people are running them in vitara's & 413's but having to modify the pug flywheel to accept the vit/ 413 clutch, whereas the 410 runs a 180mm clutch plate same as the pug so the swap should be pretty straight forward just bolt the 410 clutch up to the pug flywheel and pressure plate and bobs your uncle, we shall see.

also looking at doing a spring over axle conversion in the near future. will keep you updated.

Dave.
Last edited by Husky on Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Husky
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Re: SJ410 - turbo diesel conversion

Post by Husky » Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:23 pm

pulled out the diesel lump today, after a bit of fiddling it came out without removing the gearbox. because these engine dont run an ecu the immobilisers is housed in a very basic unit so shouldn't be a problem getting it running the the SJ. also took the full exhaust off the pug to make a custom custom side exit pipe.
Last edited by Husky on Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Husky
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Re: SJ410 - pug diesel conversion

Post by Husky » Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:24 pm

the pug flywheel is the same size as the sj almost exactly apart from the ring gear which is too tall to fit in the gearbox. whereas on the 410 flywheel the ring gear sits flush with the edge of the flywheel.

the sj (right) compared to the pug.

going to buy a spare 410 flywheel so i dont have to keep the sj off the road while its being re-drilled.

Husky
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by Husky » Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:25 pm

i fitted some lift shackles to the front the other day, they came on a spare set of leafs that came with the sj.

looks great but the back end is on its **** as the springs are poo, ive got some add a leafs to go on but having trouble fitting them as the leafs are quite flat.

anywho went down the local metal place and got some flat bar cut, drilled it out and made some shackles for the rear. steel is nice and thick so should be fine without a center brace.

Now looks lots better :D

Husky
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by Husky » Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:26 pm

picked up a couple of things today from carboot.

got s pair of spots to go on the bull bar, waxoyl kit, ammo tin to stick tools and bits and bobs in, grease gun and some other odds and sods.

Most chuffed about the grease gun for 50p :), now greased up the axles.

also fitted central locking to it a few weeks back, seems to be working great.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fZ9o3gLcSY[/youtube]

Husky
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by Husky » Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:26 pm

Fitted the spots today.

its been standing for around a week and the back wheel was covers in brake fluid so ordered a new wheel cylinder and a set of shoes after checking them.

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:32 pm

:welcome: to the forum matey.

I've been following/commenting on your build on difflock. it's coming on nicely. :thumbup:
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

ianedwards
SCUK Addict
SCUK Addict

Post by ianedwards » Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:43 pm

Cool, I like the red tin tops. , think they are funky. Nice one
Cheers

Ian. :)

1987 Suzuki SJ413 KJA - Fixed + Modified in my own way

kiwizook
SCUK Addict
SCUK Addict

Post by kiwizook » Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:16 pm

verry nice so far mate! only suggestion I have is to take the roofrack of, will make it way quieter, and will also improve your speed and definitely improve your fuel efficiency
It's not a question of how much you spend on your suzuki, but when your money will run out

donkeychomp
I spend far too much time on here
I spend far too much time on here

Post by donkeychomp » Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:23 pm

Junk the lift shackles! Other than that nice work. Wondering why you would want to put a diesel engine in though....
If it ticks over...leave it