SJ410 - turbo diesel conversion

Got an vehicle build underway? post up pictures and tell us all how its going!

Builds threads only please.
Martin86
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow

Re: SJ410 - turbo diesel conversion

Post by Martin86 » Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:02 pm

Excellent Work :smokin: If you change your front door cards at any point could I buy them from you.

Husky
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by Husky » Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:04 pm

not really thought about changing the door cards to be honest.

went on a little trip sunday to collect some parts from ebay, my van is off the road at the moment due to a poorly clutch so went in a little KA managed to fit 5 wheels in with 30" tyres on and a shackle reversal kit haha.

picked up a set of alloys and good general grabbers

also picked up a shackle reversal but missing the y shackles but i can make them no problem.

also fitted the thermostat flange from the astra engine and gives some good clearance now on the bulkhead.

Anton
I spend far too much time on here
I spend far too much time on here

Post by Anton » Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:30 pm

:popcorn: :thumbup:
1985 SJ413VX (SJ50V) with SPOA, rear disc brakes, 31x10.5R15 Kaiman Malatesta tyres, an MOT and a lot left to do!

My: Build thread To-do list Pay and Play map

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:33 am

Nice will look good with those wheels/tyres.

Personally I wouldn't bother with shackle reverse. I'm really not a fan of that set up for a number of reasons.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

Martin86
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow

Post by Martin86 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:36 am

Husky wrote:not really thought about changing the door cards to be honest.
Offers there if you want to.

I saw those Alloys on Ebay 8-)

Martin.

Husky
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by Husky » Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:28 am

ive not really decided how im going to lift the suspension, eventually i would like to do a YJ conversion, ive got a couple of different setups in my head that im going to be trying out, i picked up 2 sets of rear lift springs last night so im going for just lifted springs and standard shackles on the rear then im going to give the shackle reverse a whirl on the front and then try a RUF conversion if that doesnt work out, im aiming to stay away from SPOA and bodylifts. its mainly going to be used on the road and then greenlanes and the odd pay and play at the weekend so i dont need any crazy articulation from it but it needs to be capable offroad and handle nice'ish on road.

the wheels turned out to be 31x10.50's which is a bonus :)

im currently looking for a lockup closer to home so i can work on it more as im currently travelling 25 miles to work on the weekends to do the work.

Husky
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by Husky » Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:50 pm

got some more bits and bobs done recently. got rid of the flattened rear springs and lift shackles and fitted some +2 lift springs and standard shackles.

got some bits of welding done and undersealed the inner arches.

Also made up a new front vinyl number plate.

Ive been toying around with the idea of making a set of beadlocks, ive designed a set of rings and having them made up next week which ill weld onto a set of steelies. its more worthwhile to have a few sets made due to the setup costs so i may have a couple of sets to sell if anyone would be interested?

Husky
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by Husky » Sat Jun 06, 2015 11:41 pm

Little bit of an update here, got a handbrake cable fitted today and carried on with some under sealing, ive managed to find a rad that with fit nice, its from a swift GTI and is an alloy twin core one, just need to make a couple of mounts and can get it all fitted up.

trapper
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by trapper » Sun Jun 07, 2015 7:41 am

Good luck with the project.
Just one issue Road tax is not transferable to the new owner. When you buy it it does not matter that it appears to have road tax. The DVLA effectively cancel it on each sale and refund the original owner. So this means your un taxed and if the vehicle is on road i.e not covered by by a sorn declaration it can be seized by the DVLA.

Husky
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by Husky » Mon Jun 08, 2015 5:57 pm

trapper wrote:Good luck with the project.
Just one issue Road tax is not transferable to the new owner. When you buy it it does not matter that it appears to have road tax. The DVLA effectively cancel it on each sale and refund the original owner. So this means your un taxed and if the vehicle is on road i.e not covered by by a sorn declaration it can be seized by the DVLA.
I bought it months before DVLA bought that rule in, its currently at work sorned.