SPOA flex

Post your questions about your suspension and steering problems here!
evolve123
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Re: SPOA flex

Post by evolve123 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:51 am

ok thanks
yes i think its been about, I've been looking at the steering conversion your talking about and i have also been looking at the hi steer kit from rs engineering although pricey. whats a wrap bar? i still have the coil springs from the front but the last owner removed them for some reason. why does your td destroy spring perches? any ideas on the best shocks to run up front?

d_r_1989
Winching along now
Winching along now

Post by d_r_1989 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:42 pm

evolve123
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by evolve123 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:56 am

Hi people
I've managed to start work on the sj, its only taken 6 months!! lol!

so I've replaced all the lift shackles to standard removed a few leafs from the rear springs so they are now even, it still has this nasty z bar arrangement for the steering, and the lock is terrible especially when on full right hand lock, how can this be cured?

Anton
I spend far too much time on here
I spend far too much time on here

Post by Anton » Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:50 pm

I think that d_r_1989 has a good point when he suggested that you do a high steer conversion. Not sure how much lock you will gain because I haven't seen pics of the current setup, so I'm taking a stab in the dark.

Basically, Z-bars are a very bad thing, and if someone installed one it's a good bet they didn't really do the job right. The Z-bar was always a bodge, right from conception, so getting rid of the thing can only be a good thing.

Post pix of the setup, and we might be able to give you some better advice.
1985 SJ413VX (SJ50V) with SPOA, rear disc brakes, 31x10.5R15 Kaiman Malatesta tyres, an MOT and a lot left to do!

My: Build thread To-do list Pay and Play map

evolve123
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by evolve123 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:09 pm

Thanks Anton
ill get a picture of the steering set up and post it, I've got some astra shocks for the front coming so hope these will work with the set up too.
many thanks for your help.

d_r_1989
Winching along now
Winching along now

Post by d_r_1989 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:31 pm

evolve123 wrote:Hi people
I've managed to start work on the sj, its only taken 6 months!! lol!

so I've replaced all the lift shackles to standard removed a few leafs from the rear springs so they are now even, it still has this nasty z bar arrangement for the steering, and the lock is terrible especially when on full right hand lock, how can this be cured?
Id take a guess that its not the right length and has been tracked to make up for this hence ok lock left crap lock right. When the wheels are straight the pit man arm on the steering box should be pointing forwards i think.

d_r_1989
Winching along now
Winching along now

Post by d_r_1989 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:36 pm

evolve123 wrote:ok thanks
yes i think its been about, I've been looking at the steering conversion your talking about and i have also been looking at the hi steer kit from rs engineering although pricey. whats a wrap bar? i still have the coil springs from the front but the last owner removed them for some reason. why does your td destroy spring perches? any ideas on the best shocks to run up front?
I destroy spring perches because of the torque and the fact i dont have an anti wrap bar. When the springs are on top of the axle it increases the pressure and pin points it more. I used to kill springs but i now use bedford rascal rears which helped alot. When i get round to it im going to do away with my set up and do a 1 link set up as i dont use it on the road anymore.