It's suddenly started running better, what's wrong?

Engine not running right? see if we can help you!
Eltoon
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

It's suddenly started running better, what's wrong?

Post by Eltoon » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:43 pm

Spanish 413 on original carb. Always started fine and idled slightly erratically but steadily so I never messed with it. Did notice than particularly on a downhill it would pop pop pop in the exhaust a fair bit on the overrun so I've always vaguely wondered if it was worth investigating...but not got round to it - there's always something else to sort! The other day after a successful ITV/MOT following steering box adjustment, I took it for a ride out and couldn't help but think it was running better than usual, seemed a little jauntier and responsive compared to normal and, as the run took me over our local windy mountain road, I realised afterwards that I hadn't heard any popping on the downhill stretches. The other thing I noticed was that the idle speed had risen significantly to about 1500 rather than the usual 700 - 1000 give or take. So, not really a problem as such.... and knowing my luck it'll be back to normal next time but any ideas what could have occurred here? I remember reading a comment/saying many years ago in me motorbiking days along the line that 'If your bike suddenly starts running really well, it's a sure sign of imminent breakdown'... :mrgreen: :salute:

ROBBIE
I spend far too much time on here
I spend far too much time on here

Re: It's suddenly started running better, what's wrong?

Post by ROBBIE » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:41 pm

The auto choke on the original carb normally goes wrong, which affects the idle. They are a pain to fix so most people just replace it. Popular replacements are SU hif 44 or a webber
Sid James gone but never forgotten
Jimny 1.6 not as good as an SJ but still good

fozzie52
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Re: It's suddenly started running better, what's wrong?

Post by fozzie52 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:59 pm

The idle changes with the load from the alternator so if the lights are on/off this could affect the idle speed. Ive had my sj for 4 years and its got faster and faster each year just from being used regularly. Just an idea.